May Day, May Day!

Vi Belford was her name. I met her once when my hubster and I were dating. The story goes that for a few years in a row, her door bell would ring on May 1st and standing there would be an adorable blue eyed boy with a bouquet of flowers in his hands.

That little boy was my hubster.

So this morning when this little guy woke me up:

I know without a doubt that the apple does not fall far from the tree!

May Day (May 1st) is celebrated in many places around the world. The traditions and stories surrounding May Day vary from place to place. There is, however, one thing that is similar in most celebrations - the use of Flowers!

One of the most popularly known May Day traditions is to hang a basket full of spring flowers and/or other small gifts on a neighbor's doorknob. The trick is you don't want the neighbor to see you! If you get caught, you are supposed to get a kiss.
He still got a kiss!

So from my back yard lilac tree to you...

dandelion-17.jpg Pictures, Images and Photos

13 comments:

Halfmoon Girl said...

Okay, my heart is a puddle of melted mush. That is so sweet. Did you take out the girl your hubby brought flowers to? lol. I couldn't view the pick of your lilac tree, but that is another thing we have in common- I love lilacs too. Happy May Day, Linda!

Candyce said...

....and so far, I have only snipped one piece off your lilac tree from over the fence! Mine is just not quite in full bloom yet (at least not as of a couple of days ago).

Please tell Blue Eyes Jr that I will be home shortly after 3:00 today and will smile and provide a kiss for fresh flowers!

Sara@iSass said...

I can almost smell that delicious sweetness!
Happy May Day to you too!

One More Equals Four said...

Oh, how sweet! What a precious little boy!

Enjoy your day and your beautiful flowers!

Mari said...

Happy May Day! I love lilacs and ours aren't anywhere near blooming, so thanks for sharing yours!

bentonflocke said...

wonderful lilacs!!

Hope you had a great day!

Jamie said...

Oh so sweet! Happy May Day to you too!

Anonymous said...

May Day holds a speical meaning to me, too! Happy May Day, friend!

Jeff and Valerie Carr said...

Absolutely beautiful!

I intended to buy myself some flowers today, but because its Spain's Labor Day, the market was closed...at least I got some here.

Alana said...

So sweet!

Colored With Memories said...

how sweet...i've never really known the history of may day. looks like i missed out on an opportunity for flowers. yours are gorgeous!

Shelby-Grace said...

Your little boy is amazingly sweet! Love your lilacs too...Happy May Day!!

sara said...

what a sweet story and a sweet boy!!! Happy May Day to you too!