Word to your mother!

Can you think of any cliches you say that if you really stopped and thought about them, they don't make any sense?

Yesterday, a couple different times I was reminded of my words. First was reading this:

"A man of knowledge uses words with restraint,
and a man of understanding is even-tempered."
Proverbs
17:27

Yep, pretty much a life verse for me now!

Then when AJ and I spent some time reading one of his favorite books of all time: Even More Body Parts, by Tedd Arnold. If you haven't read this book and you are a mom of boy(s)...it's a big hit!



My sweet AJ is my flower child. He brings me flowers often this time of year. Off the apple tree, the rhododendron bush, the neighbors' yard (just kidding Candyce!), etc. Today was especially sweet as I could hear all the "gang" (the 4 boys in our cul de sac) outside playing. It sounded like a battle going on with the sound effects and shouting. They have the best time together. Then all of a sudden, it was the sweetest moment to look up and see AJ running in with a flower and then back again to join the war. How priceless is that? All boy and still tender and thoughtful!

Okay, so give me your best idiom. Here's some for starters:
All eyes on me.
My nose is running.
I put my foot in my mouth.

dandelion-17.jpg Pictures, Images and Photos

15 comments:

Mari said...

I can't think of any right now, but the ones you listed are pretty funny!

Cheri said...

I don't have any idioms, but those books are the best. My daughter and I laugh and laugh when we read them!

Duckygirl said...

Are you pulling my leg?

-Laura

One More Equals Four said...

Hmmm, I'll have to think on this one....

His Girl said...

Everything but the kitchen sink :)

Anonymous said...

i LOVE that book and the one that came before it! it was a HGUE hit in my classroom and looked like it had been through a tornado by the time i stopped teaching. it was definetly a favorite among my second graders.

i know this saying is in the book but i use it a lot: you crace me up! (and friend, you certainly do!!!)

Anonymous said...

btw...meant to typle CRACK, not crace!

Anonymous said...

oh.my.goodness...do you see that, another typo..TYPLE? i'm sure you can guess when i meant to say. okay, i'm done commenting now, unless i have another error and need to correct myself AGAIN!

i must have ants in my pants this morning or something. oh, another idiom!!!

Sara@iSass said...

Who put a quarter in you?
Drank or swim like a fish.
Smells like a baby.
(That one really cracks me up.)

Halfmoon Girl said...

Someone told my 6 year old the other day that dandelions were weeds and that nobody liked them in their yard. As he brings me beautiful, bright bouquets of them all the time, I loudly announced, "but I LOVE them!" to save the day. I also love the sweaty, mashed up ones that I get out of my 3 year old's fist.

Do you use the term Charley Horse?- cause sometimes people don't know what I am talking about when I say that.

Michelle said...

heehee! i still say word to your mother! haha!

the only one i can come up with right now is....cool as a cucumber

when the girls tell me their nose is running..... i tell them they better go catch it! I'm such a geek!

ha! i just remembered you used one in your comment on my blog today
"black thumb"

Darla said...

'cute as a button' buttons arent cute!??? or i love 'i slept like a baby' hello, babies don't sleep!
but i'm really just here to say that your little flower boy is soo sweet. it just melts my heart to think of him doing that. awwww. priceless.

Darla said...

what i wrote was more like hyperbolies, lol. i couldnt think of any idioms, but enjoy my hyperbolies! k? :D

Penny said...

What a sweetheart!! See, this is why I would not mind little boys! I always thought I wanted a girl, but little boys are so incredibly sweet!

RosyRose said...

how about this...
if you cut your legs off in that lawn mower don't come runnin to me!