Teeth and a bit of wiggin'

Ever have those mornings when you can tell that one more sip of coffee will put you over the adrenaline edge? It's lunchtime now and I feel like walking out into my back yard and gnawing on some tree bark. On edge, high strung, wiggin'...that's what I'm feeling. I hate morning's like this!

After fighting Houston traffic, D-Man and I saw an endodontist today and whoop dee doo...he gets to have a root canal. Yep, big sign on my forehead saying LOSER at the moment. When he was in kindergarten he and another kid collided and D's front lower tooth chipped. For years dentists have been telling us that it's no big deal and it would only be for cosmetic reasons that we would need to fix it.

WRONG. Now the poor kid has to have a root canal and there is a possibility of surgery because waaaay down at the bottom of his precious tooth there is a crack. Not only am I hearing CHA-ching...I'm feeling my heart ache at the possibility of my son getting put under for a surgery like this. I'm thinkin' he's had enough lately thank.you.very.much!

If that isn't enough of the dental issues in our house, AJ got his new "headgear" from the orthodontist (you are glad I'm telling you all this mundane stuff, right? I mean Monday's not boring enough, right?). It is not a typical headgear that you and I knew of growing up, it looks like this:



My poor AJ has been like a little man with all this brace face stuff. Without a hitch, whine or complain he does what needs to be done and he's doing a fabulous job taking care of his teeth. His dumb contraption basically fits like this;


I used myself as the "model" because it would scar him for life if I took his photo with it on! It is the most pitiful sight to walk in his room at night and see him asleep with it on....drooling all over the place. It reminds me of the flashback in Willy Wonka where he's in his father's dentist chair with all that metal in his mouth! Pitiful!

Okay, speed up to the present moment. I feel a bit better writing down all these thoughts in my brain at the moment about our issues with teeth. I mean, if this is all I've got to whine about on a Monday, things are pretty good!

And feeling wigged out at the moment just might have to do with that second Diet Coke. I am kinda curious though...what does tree bark taste like?

7 comments:

Jamie said...

Awww, I feel bad for your little guy. That head gear seems crazy! What a trooper he is.

Lisa Smith said...

I hate, I mean hate, really, really hate when my kids have dental issues. They've had plenty!

That headgear is plain scary! My daughter needs braces so I won't show her this post. At least he doesn't have to wear it during the day !!

Renee said...

That does not look comfy at all!! AJ's a better patient then I'd be!

Hmmm . . tree bark? I'll need to ask my doggie that one. Wonder what she'll say? lol ;)

Shelby-Grace said...

There is so much technology out there, why can't they make something like that, look so much better?! Your son is quite the trooper!

(Love the Sugarland song!)

sara said...

I understand about the root canal...alyssa had to have 5 after being hit in the mouth by a line drive softball! no fun!

wow, headgears have really changed!!

and we thought growing up was tough..I think being a parent watching the growing up is harder!!!

MelanieJoy said...

awww poor little guys....
i hope your day got better. ((hugs))

Amelia Antwiler said...

I don't see how the fact that other dentists told you "no" makes YOU the loser, here.

I wig out about dental issues, too....Mini-me has a tooth that is growing in sideways. I shudder to think what might need to be done.