Labor of Love

I've noticed a meme on blogs this weekend about Labor ...the real kind of labor (if you mommies know what I mean)!? It has reminded me of those incredible moments with my own boys. I seriously felt like superwoman. Especially after 36+ hours resulting in a 9+ pound baby boy EACH TIME! What a life-changing moment for me. What a fabulous beginning of my labor of love as a mom.

But since that very moment I have battled something as a mommy, well to be honest even when I was pregnant...fear.

You know, I think that is obviously a natural, instinctive part of being a mom. We want to protect our children. We want to prevent them from harm, danger, sadness, disappointment, etc. But sometimes I think it is more than that. "We"...okay I, take that natural fear a whole leap farther than I should.

Is it lack of trust in the Lord or is it lack of relinquishing any sense of control I might feel I have a right to? For me it is probably both.

There have been several pivitol moments in my mommyhood where God has truly reminded me that no matter how hard or how long I try to have control over what happens to my babies...He will always be the one who loves them more than I ever could. And He will always have a greater plan and purpose than I could ever imagine for both my sons.

I know all these things in my head. Sometimes I still struggle with it in my heart though. I have a blog friend Melanie who is experiencing one of my biggest fears as a mom. Yet this woman has faith and trust that has seriously blown my booties off! Please read her post today. She is an amazing person who truly gets it when it comes to faith, hope and love! And please pray for her today.



I don't find it too much of a coincidence how many times this lesson I seem to be learning lately arises to my attention. Trust will probably always be the subject, but the chapters on attitude and hope are sincerely catching my heart more and more. After all, if I am a laborer of love...perfect love....well then I need to remember:

"There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear..."

1 John 4:18 NIV


Photobucket

7 comments:

Mari said...

I love this twist on the labor theme. Good thoughts today!

Sara@iSass said...

You are talking to my heart today, lady!
but but but...they are my babies...
Thank you for the reminder: We are ALL his Babies first!

Halfmoon Girl said...

great post. I am sure many mommies can relate. I know I can, especially with my daughter being far away right now. I feel helpless at times, with lots of fears, but remind myself that God is still the same, and loves her more than I ever can. It is a comfort for sure.

Halfmoon Girl said...

so, i just went a read Melanie's post- I don't think I have read her blog before. Pretty much put my problems into perspective. Thanks for sharing.

Heather of the EO said...

OH yeah.

Off to read Melanie's post.

Melanie said...

Dear Linda,
I came over to see why "the sisters" were coming from your site to mine.
Now I see.
Thank you for your encouragement to me and your prayers for Andrew.
Melanie

Lynn said...

Beautiful words.