Have you seen the t.v. preview for *In the Motherhood*?
I can't wait for that one!
When my boys were itty bitty, there were so many days I really struggled with feeling like a failure. I would have given anything for someone to come along side me, put their arm around me and say out loud..."You are a GOOD mom, Linda".
Why don't we say that more often to each other and mean it? Being a mother is a fantastically rewarding privilege, but sometimes we just need to hear those sweet words said. Not necessarily for our insecurities, but maybe just for that extra oomph in our role. Something that picks our chins up and puts a smile on our face.
While tucking D-Man into bed the other night he said something beautiful to me after I prayed with him. I had been cranky and he knew it. I gave him a kiss goodnight and he said "I love you. You are a good mom, mommy"! *Can you say tear jerker?* So if my kid can say it to me and mean it, why aren't I thoughtful enough to encourage someone else the same way?Well not only have I met an incredibly wonderful mommy, but a great new friend! Have you ever seen *StephieAnne* on my comments? This is her:
19 comments:
why you wanna go and make me cry!
i had a really, really bad day yesterday, lost it several times with the girls. last night after we put then all to bed, i checked my email and sweet audrey had left me a message saying,
sorry ive been agervating today
i felt terrible to be honest with you. it wasn't her fault (or emily & sarah) but my fault. why do i blame my sour attitude on these sweet kiddos!
oh, and did you know you can watch short episodes of that show now online. With Jenny ????? & the girl from king of queens?
they are SOOOOO funny
What a sweet boy you have! You are a good mom. :-)
How fantastic to get together with a bloggy buddy. I'm sure you two had a blast.
The commercial did crack me up when she yells to her kids to not yell or they'll wake the baby.
I've caught myself yelling to my kids not to yell more than once!
This has been on my mind alot. I talked with my SIL about it. Before kids her and I both had jobs that we were good at, were recognized for, and we knew we were doing a good job.
Now, staying home with little ones, there's no reward (on earth) no awards, no billboard with a high5 good job, you!
The other night we exchanged awards we'd made for each other. A good wife/mom/friend award. It was silly but it was fun.
I really want to do better at telling other mamas that they're doing a good job and that on the days we fail, well praise Jesus, His mercies are new every morning and tomorrow will be a better day!
Really long comment, sorry!!!
Cheers to two of the greatest mommies I love reading about! You both inspire me.
How fun! I had lunch with a friend today too. You're right, we don't compliment each other near enough. Thanks for the reminder.
Thanks for pic of you and Stephie Anne. So much fun to meet new people.
We do need to say this to each other more. I think it all the time and just don't say it, like so many other compliments, I just assume the person knows. Silly. I'm going to say it more often now :)
that is so neat that you and StephanieAnne have met up! i recently started reading her blog and i am lovin' it!
you are a great mom! i can tell by your thoughts and words you use to describe your family that you have a wonderful, loving, mother's heart!
it's good to hear...not sure when i heard it last. the days can get long...but i know my son will soon be where your boys are now and i will want to go back. i'm trying to bottle it all up and save it for those days!
here's to being a good mama!
Oh, what a great reminder...we DO need to encourage each other more in this area. I know it always gives me such a lift when someone says this to me - I am such a words of affirmation girl.
What a sweet little man you have there...you truly are a GREAT mom.
And looks like you found an amazing new friend!
You know how I know you're a good Mama?
Them boys are ALWAYS smiling and goofy around. Plus you bake for them.
"Stop yelling. YOU'LL WAKE THE BABY!"
That is SO me. lol.
Ok I have to ask.
What made you feel like a failure when they were teenie tiny?
Why not NOW when they are older, more of having their own minds.
Mine are growing up SO fast and NOW is when I'm feeling like a failure.
For me I was IN my ELEMENT caring for those babies. I had the schedule, the routine, I mastered the tricks I knew what they needed BEFORE they needed it. I'm a GOOD baby mama.
Now I worry that I'll screw em up cause I'm too hard on them.
DO what I ask WHEN I ask it. I should NOT have to ask 5 times.
WHY can you NOT get to the potty! You are 4!
Butter, do you get that lying destroys my trust in you?
See H.A.R.D.
YEH! you got to meet a bloggy friend! Sniff. Wish it were me. :(
I really get what your saying! It feels so good to be affirmed in this area and yet I don't do it enough!
I have 2 ladies in my life who are about 20 years my senior who have been so affirming tru the years!
And what fun that you could meet a bloggy friend! I have not been able to do that yet....someday:)
i am hoping to meet Patrice (blog friend) when i go to nashville, but i am with you on the good mom stuff. i've had a few people tell me that over the years and WHY is it so hard to believe them?? i have thought, oh they are just being nice, ugh. i feel like i do my best but often compare myself to others (a no no) but just for the record, YOU'RE A GREAT MOM! and I AM TOO!
Ah shucks, Linda, you are so sweet! And, oh, those "this-will-make-you-feel-better" stories are a plenty, just hang with me and I'll give you plenty of encouragement!!! And, you have an amazing heart for those boys of yours - what blessed kids they are!
As my kiddos get older, I really start to loose my confidence as a parent and feel the need to hear, “You are doing great!” too. There seems to be A LOT more heavy sighs, stomping feet and rolling of the eyes after I say something to them which makes me feel like I really don’t get it. BUT the hugs and “love you mom” as they walk out the door seems to squish those nasty doubts flat! Our kiddos are resilient and it amazes me how they don’t dwell on our crankiness (unlike us) and seem untouched by it. Not that it makes it okay for us to stay cranky – but that childlike attitude is so wonderful! Where can I buy some of that? ;-D
You are a GREAT mom my friend!!!
Awww, how precious! You must have a great kid -- but at least he knows he has a fantastic mom, too!
What a great picture! Next time - could you invite me? Just a little notice, please, so I can catch a plane, train or bus or whatever will get me there.
I promise I would spend the whole time telling you how great you are at everything but especially being a mom.
I think, as women, we don't encourage each other because we're busy putting up the front that we have everything and everyone under control. We "seem" to have it all together all the time. That might just leave our friends thinking we don't "need" it and saving it for the times that someone visibly falls apart and really needs it. KWIM? We should be better to just dole out compliments and encouragement whenever we can!
I'm going to be better at that starting today! Thanks for the lift!
Yes, you are right- we do need to say this more. I have a mother who says things like that to me alot, and it always brings me to tears- so nice to hear. I don't think she heard that much when we were all little and sucking her brain dry with our antics!
Absolutely, moms of all ages need to be reminded that they are doing a great job! Biggest job there is, without much glory, so important to hear that we're actually doing okay at it :o)
Post a Comment