What was I thinking?

Oh yea...invite everyone here for Thanksgiving. Then realize I need to cook the turkey.

My MIL just called and I timidly asked if I should take it out of the freezer. I laid in bed last night freaking out about it. She *gasped* and said "Oh yes". I just looked up online and found this:

Refrigerator Thawing
When thawing a turkey in the refrigerator:
Plan ahead:

(PLAN AHEAD?!!
WHY DIDN'T I
READ THIS EARLIER?)







allow approximately 24 hours for each 4 to 5 pounds in a refrigerator set at 40 °F or below.

Refrigerator Thawing Times
Whole turkey:
4 to 12 pounds …… 1 to 3 days
12 to 16 pounds …… 3 to 4 days
16 to 20 pounds …… 4 to 5 days
20 to 24 pounds …… 5 to 6 days

And so guess how many pounds this turkey weighs?





How's this for a laugh today people?

And here I was worrying about burning the daggone turkey. At this rate it will be so frozen still we will have to eat next Thursday!

Pray for me. I know, pray? Well I happen to know that God is into details and He loves me very much and can miraculously thaw this dumb bird on time.

Maybe I should lay hands on it?

Or use a blow dryer!

26 comments:

Gayle @ thewestiecrew said...

Sweet friend, grab a latte and go relax with this knowledge..... I've made a turkey for 14 years and I always put it in warmish water in my sink for about 24-36 hours before I cook it.

So tonight, put that thing in a sink full of water and act like you've always had it planned that way.

Oh...and change out the water every 6 hours or so. And don't worry with botulism or anything cuz it's never happened to us OR my Grandmother who did it that way for 50 years or more. ;)

Anonymous said...

ditto what Gayle said sister, IT WILL BE FINE.....I've never thawed a turkey that long and I have cooked some BIG turkeys!!!

MelanieJoy said...

Well praise the Lord for Gayle's advice! I so don't cook either!! I'd be a nervous wreck too! My coworker she is in her early 20's and her MIL is coming and she's a basket case too. It'll all be good!! And yes our God is into the details...pray over Linda's turkey we will.....
Oh, and that picture of you looks like one the kids took of me at a youth conference once.

Michelle said...

HAHAHA! Sorry!
Well, Gayle is a sweetheart, and I'd trust anything she says.....so go fill that sick up with water....and i'll just sit back Thursday and be thankful I didn't have to cook a turkey. I hope the girls NEVER want me to fix one 'cause it ain't gonna happen....i'll just order one from Honey Baked Ham and tell them it's a new family recipe!
well, now that i think of it, maybe they have a fear of raw turkey deep down inside and they'll never want to see one again. Oh, my poor kiddos are gonna need therapy!

Anonymous said...

Good for Gayle. I was going to tell you to Google "turkey bath" because I couldn't remember exactly how to do it.

Not sure "turkey bath" would get you the best results, though. :)

Poopsie said...

Follow what Gayle says, and float that bird.
Then, go and buy yourself a turkey bag- reynolds I think- and use it by follwoing the directions on the box. I have never burnt the bird, and I always start thawing it out later. The bonus, when you follow the directions on the box, you don't have to make gravy, it gets made in the bag.
Have a blessed day!

Anonymous said...

OK - I'm praying, just like you asked. But I think you already got some pretty good advice. (I second the bag idea - keeps it juicy and keeps it easy.)

Somehow it gives a new meaning to Turkey Day... :-)

Anonymous said...

Breathe...and don't loose sleep! Take everyone's advice. My mom always used that method for thawing the bird for the big day, and look I'm alive to tell you about it with no diseases! It's a miracle...it will be fine, friend!

Penny said...

Oh, snap!!! Yeah, get that blow dryer out! Or set it on top of your dryer...uh...put it near the oven...(Can you tell I hardly cook, lol?). Good luck! Will be praying for you!!!

Sarah@Life in the Parsonage said...

This SO made me smile :)

You are a hoot...and everyone loves you...even if they have to eat popcicle-turkey on Thanksgiving :)

Mama2hre said...

AHHH! I had no idea it took THAT long! We just got ours yesterday. It's a 20 pounder, and my husband (the cook) said he would just float it in the sink. I really hope it works! Ok...just a funny to share. I bought the turkey yesterday AM. Last evening at 5:30 as we were leaving the house, Hayden says, "Um, Mom, why is there a turkey in the van?" AHHH! I got Ella out of the car in the AM and forgot the turkey. At least it wasn't the other way around. Thankfully it's been plenty cold here! :)

sara said...

Go with Gayle...and me!! I do the same thing with my turkey every year! I try to remember to take it out of the freezer but never do. The "turkey bath" as Rachel put it, works great!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Sara@iSass said...

oh HON-ey! I so LOVE that picture of you, I'm going to put it on my fridge!
Gayle gave you some sound advice. Use it and IF it doesn't work serve turkey sandwiches ala'Oscar Mayer.
Love you girl!

Anonymous said...

I'm with Sara, because frankly, I'm just in it for the Chex Mix and mashed potatoes. Ok, no, seriously. If the bath doesn't work, toss it in the dryer and tell the curious it's tribal drumming. You're authentic all the way. Ok, no, seriously, don't put it in the dryer. Stuff it with prozac. Kidding. Um, sorry, got carried away there for a second...

Blessings, Whitney

Joanne@ Blessed... said...

Linda...you are a hoot. U just crack me up! Oops..I am resorting to my text lingo...

I know it is blasphemy and I will probably hear from everyone who has ever had salmonella, BUT...I have been known to put my frozen turkey out in my sink overnight to thaw. We have NEVER gotten sick, and the turkey has been delicious!

You bust me up. Remember don't think Thanksgiving turkey, think big November chicken.

Halfmoon Girl said...

I was going to tell you the same as Gayle. Here tells you about water bathing your turkey:http://www.butterball.com/tips-how-tos/how-tos/thaw#one, but I think Gayle's explanation is closer to how I have done it before. Remember to change the water. Deep breaths in and out my friend- you will do great!

Mari said...

It'll be fine! I see you've gotten tips on what to do so I won;'t leave any. Just take a picture to show us how well it turned out!

SoonerAggieMom said...

Well, I don't even have to tell you how much I LAUGHED at this post. You've received excellent advice. Float it and bag it and act like you know what you're doing.

Love you!!

Candyce said...

The first year I cooked a big bird, it floated in my sink all day Wednesday! It was thawed out and ready by Thursday morning and came out great!

For me the biggest challenge on Thanksgiving is not the bird, but getting all of the other food on the table at one time, while hot! Mashers, stuffing, gravy, vegetables, rolls, yams, carved turkey - all should be served warm! How is that possible with only four burners and one oven? And gravy? Ughhh! Mine always seems a little lumpy!

Well, aren't I the little voice of support! :-) Don't you fret Mama. It always works out and your dinner will be filled with love and thankfullness!

SLMW8MAN said...

Good luck with that.

His Girl said...

GUUURRRRLLLL... why are you the funniest chickkie alive?

i too have done the sink method. works every time ;)

Beverly said...

Dude - my bird has been in the fridge for 3 days and still feels hard as a rock. Do you think that guy will fit in the microwave if the float method doesn't work??? bwahaha

I've heard that Albertson's cooks turkeys. I'm putting their number on the speed dial!!

Jackie said...

Girl, I just love you. I really do. :) And I'm sorry, but I laughed out loud at this. I was going to say the same thing Gayle did...do that and you'll be fine. Your turkey will turn out great, no worries.

Tiffany said...

ACK! Good luck with Birdie, hope he's thawed in time... Looks like everyone had some great advice, thank God for Bloggyland! lol

Renee said...

I can ALWAYS count on a good laugh when it comes to your post! LOL

Take a deep breath - inhale through your nose and slowly exhale through your mouth - repeat 5x's.

Now give that ol'Tom Turkey a warm water bath today (hole the bubbles!)and you will be just fine. That's how I thawed mine last week and everything was fine. I've even heard some add salt to the water while thawing It makes brine which keeps the bird moist while cooking.

Praying of for you today as you prepare for Thanksgiving Day.

Lynn said...

You are too cute! I love that you took the time to post this crazy saga for us....great pic!