Rabbits

There are probably only 2 of you will get this post and understand what I'm really talking about; my sister and my friend Linda. But it is a intricate part of our family and needs telling.

This morning I was woken up by a bright eyed, big grinned 7 year old shouting:
RABBITS
Now to a normal mom it would be obsurd to have your child do such a thing. Meaningless, crazy and obsurd. Why Rabbits? It's not even Easter, right?

Here's the jist of the long running story:
While in Bible College we had a special man who worked in the dishroom of the cafeteria. I have absolutely no idea where this Rabbits game originated but it surely kept me on track of the date!
The first day of every month it was a big challenge to make it into the lunchroom and shout out RABBITS before he did. And it was always a joy to see the expression and vibrant look on his face. Then I'd get my tray, sit down to eat and hear one after another shouts of "Rabbits" as other students came in. I don't know if it was the highlight of his month, but it was one of mine!

After college I began working at a small church near my hometown. The Senior Pastor had gone to the same Bible College years ago and was in on the monthly, meaningless joke as well. Which quickly spread to the rest of the staff.

Upon marrying my husband, who attended seminary at the same college...Rabbits became another "normal" part of our married relationship. In fact it became quite the unhealthy competition each month. Midnight would roll around and if one of us was awake and remembered...the word was delightfully shouted in all its glory.

So as you've figured, we have passed this tradition down to our children. They don't get the whole meaning of why we say it either. But it is a delightful way to begin each month. I have noticed though that with age and energetic children, the shout of the victorious *Rabbits* seems to be announced earlier and earlier in our day.

And the grand prize to all this jibberish...absolutely nothin'. Ahh, nothin' but the pride in being the winner of remembering!

So, happy RABBITS day to you.




13 comments:

Cheri said...

I absolutely love it!

Lynn said...

And it's from little traditions like this that memories are made...FUN!

Poopsie said...

Sounds like a fun tradition, except the being woken up part. :)

Family traditions are always a good thing to have. They help us to stay connected through it all.

MelanieJoy said...

I love traditions! You guys make...I said make...life fun. I'm sure it's not always but your outlooks are amazing....hopefuly contagious!

StephieAnne said...

Love those silly inside jokes!

Here's a new email forward for you-

Hi guys, because of some conflicts on Friday, Christy has asked that we celebrate her birthday on MONDAY- next Monday at the pizza place in the Crescent Village (near my house). Hope you can all make it. Please pass on to anyone not on the list. Thanks! Nancy

Beverly said...

That made me LOL!!

Gayle @ thewestiecrew said...

CUTE! I love sweet traditions like that...

Gayle @ thewestiecrew said...

CUTE! I love sweet traditions like that...

Gayle @ thewestiecrew said...

CUTE! I love sweet traditions like that...

Anonymous said...

Do you remember when we dressed up as rabbits (black sweats, bunny tails and ears) and showed up to the home of that pastor you mentioned at FIVE AM????!!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow. I ***fondly*** remember Rabbits, but sadly say that I have not kept the tradition alive as you have. Sweet Roger, to think he's still bringing joy to people with his fun tradition.

Just wait - I'll get you next month. :) Linda

Anonymous said...

This just sounds too fun! Worth trying at our house, for sure...although the truth is, somebody will probably be crying because they didn't get to say it first...

Maybe me! haha

We might have to shout "Bunny" since he is an important part of our family, and Isabel's best friend/companion. It seems like it's the silly traditions that work their way deepest into our hearts and bring people together.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh!!! Monday I woke up and realized what day of the month it was and said "rabbit" in my head! I have not heard anyone else do that since I was in high school - a very loooong time ago! My drama teacher at South Eugene High, Ed Ragozzino, started us down this track my sophomore year, I thought it was just a quirky thing he made up. In high school we did it for luck for the month (I know, it has nothing to do with God) now, if (big if!) I remember it is the first day of the month, I do it just for fun. Thanks for sharing about "rabbits" (now I don't feel so crazy!).