Camping review

Ahh camping. Ya know I have always been a bit of a nature girl myself. I remember when we were young my siblings and would pull out an air mattress, blankets and pillows and literally sleep outside on our property. As an adult I get creeped out thinking of all the bugs, skunks, critters, etc. So I would like to pat myself on the back a minute here for the real camping I did last week:

Cooking w/ propane

Peein' outside...sometimes late at night...in the dark!

Washing my hair and body in the river

Listening to the bullfrogs who lulled us to sleep each night

Not shaving for 3 days.

How's that for impressive. Oh please don't tell me about your one up on me, I'm feeling mighty proud.

The camping was nice but there was a small thing that my inlaws neglected to tell us that about did me in. They live on a ranch with acres and acres of land. It is gorgeous, peaceful country that we love. Their ranch also borders mountains, fields and TIMBER. And in order for the loggers to get to this timber, they have to drive thru the ranch to get to the trees. The road they take to get there was less than 100 yards thru the brush behind our tent. Unseen, but BOY OH BOY not unheard. And the "fun" part was that they get started about 5am. So that means, trucks, log trucks and their jake brakes barreling thru around 4:30 am. Totally took the fun out of things. It almost seemed absurd to be so secluded and on our own and then hear this going by. Big UGG!

Of course I was able to ignore it as the mornings went on. And they were usually gone after noon. But it was almost comical that we were sitting next to a peaceful, almost secluded river, wildlife around us, no noise except for nature...oh and the vrrrmmmm of a log truck now and then.

Another highlight of my time away with my family is Henry. He is always a peculiar dog. Keeps us laughin' at how goofie he can be sometimes. Watching him swim is hysterical as he walks out and keeps his hind legs on the floor of the river and paddles with his front til he about sinks. Obviously you have to see it to get the good laugh. But he is not a normal dog in the swimming event. The digging? Again, hilarious! He loves to dig in the sand or dirt and when his front paws flip the dirt back thru his legs, he feels it and whips his body around like "what was that?" and then continues the pitiful cycle over and over and over again.

I love how much fun and laughable my life can be sometimes!
My favorite moment was sitting quietly doing a puzzle with my Ani and he sweetly said, "Mama, this is so peaceful". For a little guy that is on the go and full of energy, it made my heart melt. And all the packing, loading, setting up worth it!

And to hear of so many of you already back to school, I will savor these last few weeks left of our summer vacation. It has been a fast one, but a great one!

7 comments:

StephieAnne said...

Oh, great stories - love the one about Henry! And, bummer about the log trucks! I'm sure this will be the highlight your kids talk about of the summer....

Lynn said...

You get a boatload of cool mom points and a high-five from me for this camping adventure. What wonderful memories.

MelanieJoy said...

Sounds like so much fun!!! You go Girl hands down you win for bathing in the river!!!
I'm a bit bummed out today because I start back to school tomorrow. It's not the way the day was suppose to go....I'll survive though.
Summer did fly by fast that is true. Enjoy your week!! Hugs...

Amelia Antwiler said...

Oh, I laughed at your dog and winced at your story about the trucks. When I was a kid - the noise always came when people were trying to take naps. Revving of engines, RADIOS that apparently had no quiet button...

The pain my parents went through to get us camping became very evident when we tried to go camping as adults. It was not pretty. I do admire you -- you go girl!!

RYC - You made me laugh. I'm including you in my bloggy celebration just because. It really sounds like you could use some forks. :-)

Alana said...

You still have weeks left of summer vacation? Ours is over this week...school starts Thursday. So glad you had a good time. I bet your boys just loved it! Need more pictures!

SoonerAggieMom said...

What fun!! Sorry your solitude was interrupted by the trucks. I'd love to see video of Henry. He's such a cool dog.

Beverly said...

Ummm, yeah. I used to camp when I was young. Every weekend at the lake. I remember it with great fondness and have such great memories of those times. But, something changed on my way to adulthood. A few things, in fact. The biggest is that I **heart** electricity and all the comforts that it provides. Plus, I would be so cranky getting woke up at 5 am!! yikes.

You are definitely DA BOMB!! (Roman says you're DA MOM BOMB!! haha)